Sunday, January 03, 2010

New Writers - well, new to me


As the last few frozen days of the Christmas holidays pass by, I've been dipping into the Guardian's article on writers who died in the last decade. Lots of lovely new names and titles here to research and read, including Lorna Sage (picture reminds me of literary-minded pal of mine, Linda), Grace Paley (interesting New Yorker of Russian stock), Sybille Bedford (globe-trotter who kept falling in love well into her 90s). There are many more, but those are the three I'm getting to know a bit better just now.

Also, excellent feature on books which are due to be published in 2010. All manner of subjects covered. Reading the list got me a bit excited particularly about non-fiction, a genre I tend to neglect. John Lanchester - who wrote the rather-good Mr Phillips - has written a book on the current health of the economy, Whoops! Why Everyone Owes Everyone and No One Can Pay, which will be published in February. That one might just go on my birthday present wish list.

Click here for interesting interview with Grace Paley.

No comments:

Post a Comment